Pages

Friday 20 January 2012

Injera – What is Injera?!

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, please lend me your ears. Human beings are supposed to share what they are going through, right? And whether good or bad, am I right? I will be very sincere, like I have always been when narrating stories about my life experiences. Since I moved to Ethiopia, about five days ago, I have had nothing to like here, except may be admire their very beautiful girls. Some say that Ethiopians are a 'handsome' people and I say that that is not right. I am straight and so I say that Ethiopian women are beautiful. Period.

The real reason I started writing this essay is because I have had nothing but trouble ever since I moved here. There are no foods that a Kenyan might eat. Everything is cooked their own style, with as much pepper as if they had 'diabetes and pepper had insulin in it'. I talked to you about Injera and much as I have tried to eat it, I have failed terribly to swallow more than a few bites. I lived in Uganda for five years and everything they cook there I ate, because it was the same as the Kenyan cooking and if not then it was African by all means. Rice is available in the shops though I heard it is only cooked in restaurants run by Muslims, and there are not many here, and not especially in Nazret. Plus the rice costs about Kshs 100 more than in Kenya. A tray of eggs is 66.20 Birr. Multiply that by five to get Kenyan or divide by 16 to get Americano. Where I come from, that would be expensive!

Injera, I tried and initially, the plate looked like this: it was topped with meat, unlike the first time where assorted vegetables were served and made me not touch it. The first picture shows my Injera untouched, and the last shows all the damage I inflicted to it, or mostly to the meat. Everybody at the restaurant watched me as I tried and failed to eat it.
Before I tried



 After I failed


If you are Kenyan you probably think that mkorogo tastes good but is has no salt, no sugar, and it tastes like they ferment the dough they make it with. It is the worst food in all Africa (I know that) being a traditional cuisine, like they call it. I have heard about foofoo of West Africa and it must be their type of ugali and I resonate well with ugali and anything in that family.

I have lost weight tremendously, for I have been living on bananas like a monkey. Have you ever seen an overweight monkey? My belt, I have skipped a whole hole and I am starting to worry how long I will last here. The only thing that might hold me back, to be truthful, is getting a girl. If I do not get a girlfriend in a week (because of the Linguistic barrier), the next time you hear from me I will be writing in Nairobi! The only thing spoken here is Amharic, and it is worse when written. Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Thank God you are Kenyan if the comment was from some other country of Europe or USA or somewhere else I would kill my self. We Ethiopians have saying for this "She doesn't have anything She wish to have everything" lol . 'Friend' stay in Kenya ! Eat your zdfvkdlxmkfjlckfjdklxjdvklmfj !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Umankanja, dont get mad. I am supposed to report everything as I see it. Thanks for the comment anyway.

      Delete

What do you think about it?