Pages

Monday 30 May 2011

Building the Nation - The Parody

Like always I have done a lot
In building our nation.
Today I met US Secretary of State
In an important urgent function
And a lunch at the Vic.

The meals reflected our importance
Cold Bell beer and a small talk,
Then fried chicken with niceties
Wine to fill the moments of silence
We also had ice-cream over a few jokes
And coffee to keep us awake and lively.

The Secretary and I were driven back.
We might have yawned a few times in the back
And for I cared I asked my driver
Driver, my friend, had any lunch?
The ingrate replied looking straight ahead
Seemed to smile secretly
That he had not, but was slimming!

Upon which I took not lightly
For it is not easy building a nation
Mwananchi, we do a lot, I said,
Attending to matters of state,
Diplomatic duties are not easy you know.

And friends please give us a break,
You cause us stomach ulcers at times.
We don't build a nation with bricks,
Ah! the unfair criticism we get when building our nation!
Matter of fact I have ulcers!
Probably twice as painful as yours
Only mine are caused by matters
Of building this our nation!

So fellow nation builders
Let not the fellows be getting at you
Our nation is more than us.
It's all about building our nation –
– By all possible means.



See also Henry Barlow's 'Building the Nation'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think about it?